The Community Depot
Posted on July 9, 2013
An album of photographs from this event is available here.
An article in the Valdosta Daily Times about this event is available here.
The Community Depot’s website is here.
A brochure about the Community Depot is here.
Several members of Christ Episcopal Church participated in the establishment of the Community Depot, a home retail thrift store for new and donated items. The Community Depot building at 1602 North Ashley Street was dedicated on June 14, 2013, and named the “Joan Bailey Center” in honor of Mrs. Joan Bailey, a member of Christ Church and the former First Lady of Valdosta State University. The Rev. Joye Cantrell blessed the building at the start of the ribbon-cutting ceremony, which was conducted by the Valdosta-Lowndes County Chamber of Commerce Ambassadors, Valdosta Mayor John Gayle, Lowndes County Chairman Bill Slaughter, and State Representative Dexter Sharper. Other community leaders, board members, and guests were on hand to assist and honor Mrs. Bailey and lend support for the Community Depot.
Christ Church member Ralph Jackson is serving as the executive director of the Depot. Christ Church members Phyllis Hiers and Bobbie Warren are members of the Board of Directors, as is Joan Bailey, the honorary chairperson. All proceeds will be used to help fund the programs and services of three partner charities: Easter Seals, the Humane Society, and the American Red Cross.